Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Going to Grandma's

When you have a child, your life suddenly become much more defined by the list of "firsts" that occur- first smile, first steps, first haircut, first family vacation. This weekend we experienced yet another- Liam's first overnight at his grandparents. This night away from home was planned as a trial run for later this month when hubby and I will be away for a few days at a wedding and the boy's grandparents have offered to keep him. We thought it might go better if we started slow and worked our way up to several days away from home without mom and dad so off he went Sunday evening, bags packed. Holding back tears as I waved him down the street I instantly felt like something was missing, lighter somehow, exposed. I wasn't shielded in the cloak of motherhood and our plans for dinner with the soon to be marrieds that were in town opened up to the land of "before we had a kid". Thing is, I felt like a stranger in a strange land, like I'd been here before but everything looks different. Then to spend the night talking about wedding plans and seating charts felt even more foreign as it has been 10 years since I've visited those milestones. Nonetheless, I had a few drinks without worrying about the headache in the morning, and only silently wished I was home putting my boy to bed.

As for the boy, he had a fabulous time with grandma and poppa and went to bed like it was any other evening- same routine, different sleeping quarters. My mother in law says she didn't hear a peep out of him until she checked on him at 7:30 in the morning when he popped his head up and said "hi Grandma!" I did not ask if he called for me. I didn't want to know the answer. I do know that the smile that shined as I walked in the door to pick him up was as bright as the sun and it felt so good to wrap myself back up again.

No comments: