Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Silver Lining

Nothing really prepares you for the ins and outs of motherhood, but least of all for when your baby is sick. The pull on your heartstrings is so tender and the longing to make it all go away consuming. I have been blessed with a boy who doesn't get sick all that often. I do not know if this makes it better or worse. I recognized the sort of glassy look in his eyes this morning but blew it off. By naptime, however, the flushed cheeks and barking cough were an insight into the discomfort he must be feeling. So when he woke from his nap after 45 minutes only to be laid back down a half an hour later, I took it in stride. We cuddled, we sang, we watched "Wonder Pets" all in an effort to make a sick little boy feel comforted and a mom feel like she is doing something to make it all better. This is one of those times when looking at the silver lining gets you through. It won't be long before he doesn't want or need me to wrap him up in a blanket and cuddle on the couch and those precious, stolen moments will be found only in my heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The heart: home of the silver lining.