Tuesday, February 5, 2008

If you love something, let it go...

As I listened to the raging thunder this morning, the sounds echoed the pain in my heart. She is afraid of storms I thought and as if on cue, I heard her bark calling to me from downstairs where she has kept watch since we brought Liam home. I am here, I called as I opened the door to let her upstairs to the warm comfort and safety of our bed, if only for now. My heart ached to be able to continue provide that same comfort to her, to avoid the inevitable of the days to come.

My sweet Roxy has had a tough time since Liam arrived. This was not a surprise to us. I found Roxy on a cold winter day alone and starving on the side of the road while out working with a client. Are you afraid of dogs I asked? No, he replied and Roxy jumped in the back of my car.

We soon learned that Roxy was most likely abused, had a seizure disorder and was very uncomfortable around kids. She was also sensitive to changes in the house like when we put up the Christmas tree and rearranged the furniture. But she is also the smartest, sweetest dog, always cuddling and coming when called. She instantly became my favorite girl.

We have been struggling with the adjustment to our new family dynamic since the boy started crawling and I have watched Roxy become more introverted and skittish. Her seizures have increased and she just seems sad. So am I. As the result of a bite over the weekend and many, MANY shed tears we have decided to let Roxy go. We will be with her on Saturday as our amazing vet assists us in facilitating Roxy's transition from this earthly existence to somewhere she will no doubt chase squirrels and toss squeaky toys all day long. Please keep her in your thoughts this Saturday morning. She will be in ours forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bless you all: life is eternal.