Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Grass is Always Greener

And by greener I mean your experience is always negated by the other mom who has it harder than you. Why do we do this to ourselves? I know I am not alone in thinking "I shouldn't be this (angry, frustrated, tired, bored, lonely) at least I (only have one kid, have a supportive partner, work, don't work, got a break today)." Deep in my bones I have felt the effects of the past two weeks which have been plagued by sickness- his, mine, ours- but I have also found myself thinking about my mother sisters whose husbands were out of town, or who are recovering from surgery while caring for a newborn or who have TWO sick children. I should be grateful that (insert irrational reverse guilt trip here) and not feel so, SO. There is that SHOULD again. Enough is Enough.

Here is the reality of the situation. It is so much easier to focus on someone else than it is ourselves, in any capacity. All we truly know is our own realities and the perspective we develop being engaged in the daily ritual of that. I have no idea how I would respond if my husband were out of town for 10 days but I do know that the last 10 days with my sick son while battling my own germy demons has undoubtedly sucked. Being present with the suckiness of it all facilitates growth, movement to the other side. Focusing on the idea that she has it worse than i do so why can't I take care of this sick kid and cook a three course meal by 6 o'clock only depletes us further. Why exert all of that energy? Save it, call your friends, commiserate, support each other.

We are all in this together. All of our landscaping could use a little TLC.

No comments: