Monday, October 13, 2008

Breathing Lessons

I had just put the boy down for his nap when I heard a thump. I barged back into his room, nostrils flaring, ready to belt out my best "it is nap time GO TO SLEEP" rhetoric when he popped his little head up from the mattress and said "mommy, what happened?". Turns out, something I had put on the stairs fell to the floor outside of his room. Whoops. I covered him up, tucked my tail between my legs and shut the door.

If I would have only stopped for a moment, taken a breath and proceeded I would have seen the yoga block on the floor and all of the nonsense above could have been avoided. Believe in your breath moms- it is the most powerful tool we have.

Speaking of yoga, I went to a new class this weekend and got all goosebumpy like I do when I feel like I've made a bit of that internal connection during class that I strive for during my mat practice. Talking with the teacher after class I realized the connection may have been with her. We were talking about the upcoming teacher training I enrolled in and she shared with me that she found out she was pregnant two thirds of the way through her own training and how having a child has completely changed her teaching perspective and personal practice. She said "it doesn't matter if I can hold a pose for twenty minutes, what matters is can I breath through an episode of my daughter dumping nail polish on the floor". Exactly. Just breathe.

No comments: