Monday, October 6, 2008

Sweeter Words Were Never Spoken

Last week was a bit of a challenge for our family. The wonderful time had by all (including Liam, Grandma and Grandpa) while we spent our first days apart came with a bit of a price. The boy struggled to transition back into our daily routine with all the neediness and whineyness a toddler has to offer. It was his way, I suppose, of letting us know he missed us and did not understand where we were or why we had left him- at least that is what I kept telling myself. After a few days of this I thought for sure I might lose my mind. Then it happened, the moment every mother waits for, the overwhelming emotional validation for all the sleepless nights, aching shoulders, endured tantrums, irrational worries- he said "I love you, mommy". I thought my heart would burst right then and there. He as been saying "luv you" when prompted (tell Grammy you love her) and has been known to respond "yeah" to me when I have said "I love you, Liam" so to have him walk up to me, hug and kiss me and then say "mommy I love you" was more than I could take. He has since walked up for random kisses ("kiss, mommy!") and other affectionate expressions, but I will always remember that moment, sitting on the floor in my Nana's house when those three little words were uttered.

Liam, I love you to the moon and back again.

No comments: